Sunday, April 23, 2006

Game 18 Thoughts

Bring out the brooooooms. Back to back sweeps, BABY!





















-Big ups to the bottom of the order. The 7-9 guys tore it up, which was a pleasant surprise to say the least. We were getting next to nothing out of Juanny and Anderson, and they came through today. Altogether they were 8-12 with 4 HR, 6 RBI, and 5 R. Seeing this must be real discouraging for other teams. The top and the bottom of the order can mash, and 1-8 it's hard to pitch around someone.

-Juan's average jumped all the way up to .233, and Anderson is slowly creeping toward the Mendoza line. He's at .178. Pods is in the midst of a 8 game hitting streak.

-It's a shame that Thome's scoring streak came to an end. I thought for sure he'd get the record, but I will take this win with the output we got from the bottom of the order.

-The Sox have won 8 straight, and amazingly, their starters have gotten all eight of those wins. They were 5-0 through the last turn through the rotation and are off to a solid 3-0 start on this turn.

-Contreras was awesome again. He made a minor mistake in the first, but no biggie. He pitched another great game. All the concerns I had coming into the season about him regressing have been fully put to rest. I have just about as much confidence in him as I do in Buehrle.

-Hunter made a nice play on Konerko's near homer. As soon as I saw it was headed to center, I actually expected to Hunter to make the play. That's how good he is out there, I just expected him to rob Paulie of a homer.

-There are only two small negatives, and they're pretty minor. First, I think Contreras shouldn't have come back out for the eighth. I know his pitch count was low and he was rolling, but I think Oz should have given the bullpen some work. I think Thornton should have taken the eighth. The other thing that bugged me was the unnecessary steal attempt by Tadahito. I like the Sox intent as a team, to be aggressive on the basepaths, but I think they need to be a bit more selective and careful.

-I nearly forgot again, Thome's homer yesterday gave him 438 for his career, tying him with Andre Dawson.

-Not the most important fact, but interesting nonetheless. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the Sox pitching staff has allowed just two runs in the last four games, which is the fewest amount given up in such a stretch since 1973.

Sox Player of the Game




Juan Uribe (1)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter