Sunday, April 16, 2006

Game 12 Thoughts


-Pods had his best game of the season. 2 for 3 with a triple and a SB. He also forced a balk. With the way things are going for him this season, I thought for sure the game was going to be cancelled and his stats for the day wiped clean. Luckily, though, they played long enough for us to get the win. Pods needs to springboard off this performance and get rolling.

-Tadahito followed up yesterday's spectacular play in the field yesterday with a pretty big blunder. Granted the field was a mud pit and there was standing water on the field, but his error could have potentially cost us the game. I don't know if it's just me, but at times Tadahito has looked a bit shaky in the field. I'm still in awe of his play yesterday though.

-Another blast for Thome. This continues his scoring streak, which now stands at 12 straight games. I don't know if I like the fact that Thome got waved home on Paulie's double. It's good to challenge the outfielder, but we were basically taking a 50-50 risk. Either, the play is botched and Thome scores, or the throw is on line and Thome is out by 5 feet. We scored, so it worked out, but I still can't decide if I like the call or not.

-Who's better to have out there, Mackowiak or Anderson? I want to see Anderson back in there. He is the day-to-day starter at center, and I think if he can just continue taking some hacks he'll right his ship.

-Wow, Crede is batting .324, I don't know where that came from. I don't know how it got that high all of a sudden. Atta way Joe C.

-Prettty good outing by Freddy today. If you told me before the game he would pitch a complete game, I would have been thrilled. He did do that, but not quite in the traditional manner. Garcia had good stuff going for him before the first rain delay. I was glad to see that he was able to continue after the stoppage. His control suffered toward the end of his outing. I want to attribute that to fatigue after sitting through a rain delay, which is real hard to do; and to having to pitch in the rain. It couldn't have been easy to pitch in that rain. The one big minus for Freddy was when he stared down Tadahito after he botched the grounder. It was a big play, but all that stare down can do is build animosity and put extra pressure on Iguchi.

-Both homers today came with 2 outs, meaning we scored 4 of 6 runs with 2 outs. I don't have access to the proper stats, but I would venture to guess that the Sox are toward the top of the league in the 2-out RBI category.

-It's lucky that we jumped out to a big lead. Had it been a tie game or a closer game, I think the umps would have called the game earlier. The field was one giant slop fest. On the bright side, we did get to see the traditional Mark Buehrle tarp dive.

-We won the series against the Blue Jays, that's a good win for us. Now I want to see us take 3 out of 3 against the Royals, and redeem ourselves for the pitiful showing in KC.
Sox Player of the Game




Jim Thome (2)







Sox Record: 7-5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter